Since the beginning of this year I am a retired person at the age of almost 65. Most of my professional life I have worked in IT – first as a SW-developer, then as a project manager and almost two decades as a senior and principal consultant for various kinds of challenges in project- and general IT-management.
However, I am also an educated physicist with a PhD degree in physics/astrophysics. No wonder that my interests as a “free” man now again turn to topics in physics and interesting stuff as Machine Learning. Presently, I use part of my time to revive some math knowledge required in theoretical physics (QFT as well as GR). This also helps me with some ML-topics.
Working areas in astrophysics
Regarding astrophysics I have worked on the following subjects at a Max Planck institute in Germany:
- Development of numerical algorithms for computer simulations of self-gravitating multidimensional gas flow with shock waves
- Core collapse of rotating stars, supernovae (type II) and neutron star formation
- Gravitational waves and neutrino emission from collapsing rotating star cores
- Instabilities of expanding shock waves in rotating environments
- Equilibrium configurations of self-gravitating rotating dense matter and their stability at high densities
Working areas in IT and IT-management
In IT I have worked in various roles – SW-developer, IT-project manager, IT line manager, senior consultant. Many of the last 30 years as a freelancer.
- Senior consulting regarding eGovernment projects on all levels (federal, state, local) of governmental administration in Germany
- Senior consulting regarding IT management, control processes and IT quality management systems (ITSM, ISO/IEC 20000, eGovernance) und Information Security (ISMS, ISO/IEC 27000).
- IT project management (conventional, agile, Prince2, SCRUM)
- Machine Learning (Neural networks with Python3, Keras, Tensorflow)
- Administration of (virtualized) LAMP- and Linux based email-servers and respective security measures
- Virtualization of Linux systems (KVM, VMware und LXC)
- Virtualised VLANs and packet filters
- Company internal courses and talks on Machine Learning
- Simulations of demand propagation in supply chain networks and the relation of supply chain networks to Artificial Neural Networks.
Happy Linux user
I am happy to work on my private Linux systems again. Linux, only! No Windows any longer. 🙂 Not only is life too short to spend it with low quality wine, but it is also too short to waste time with operative systems like Windows. There are operative systems for men – and there are operative systems for gamers, kids and people who use a PC like a type-writer.